A Seminar in Jungian Psychology and Sandplay Therapy by Dr. Alexander Esterhuyzen
Senior (Jungian) Analyst , London (IAAP)
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy
Sandplay Therapist,Teaching Member and President
of the International Society for Sandplay Therapy (ISST).
Since time immemorial, the transitions from one particular stage of, or position in, life to another have always been accompanied by rituals. The complexity of these ritual ceremonies tell us about the breadth and depth of the ritual container that is necessary when psychic energy must be diverted from acquired habit into new an unaccustomed activity. In most societies these rituals of initiation are disappearing. Jung recognised that the symbols of initiation can occur spontaneously in the psyche when it is necessary to move from one psychological stage to another. He proposed that Depth Psychology is now the most likely available container for initiation in individuals.
In this seminar we will study Psychological Initiation:
- How Psychological Initiation differs from cultural initiations.
- What are the necessary ingredients in therapist and client for initiation to take place.
- How to recognise images of initiation in dreams and sandplay images
- What happens when the therapist does not recognise psyche’s movement towards initiation.
- How to work with the process of initiation.
- Study a sandplay case in which the therapist failed to recognise the threshold of initiation when it appeared in sandplay.
- Study a clinical sandplay case in which the client successfully underwent initiation and the specific work this process requires.
More about Dr. Alex Esterhuyzen:
Dr.Alex Esterhuyzen is a Senior (Jungian) Analyst with the Independent Group of Analytical Psychologists in London. He is also a Sandplay Therapist and Teaching member of the International Society for Sandplay Therapy (ISST). He served on the ISST Board for eight years as Vice President and is currently, President of ISST. He is also a Consultant Psychiatrist specialized in Psychotherapy and was Honorary Senior Lecturer for the University of London at St. George’s Hospital Medical School in London for many years. He has taught and supervised on many international projects in Jungian Psychology and Sandplay Therapy. He is now based in Hong Kong.
Time: 10am – 5pm (Inclusive of 1 hour lunch break)
Date: 9th May 2015
Price: S$350 (Payment by Cheque Only*)
Last Date for Registration: CLASS IS CLOSED
Download the registration form HERE*
30 Orange Grove Road (Next to Shangri La Hotel)
*Both registration form and cheque can be mailed together. See registration form for details.